Everything In Destiny 2 Should Have Matchmaking




I have been playing Destiny since the Alpha of the original game back in 2014. I love the gameplay and the world that Bungie created. It's the game that I keep coming back to regardless how long a break I take. Since a new season has just started in Destiny 2 and the big Fall expansion Beyond Light has been announced I wanted to talk about something in the game that has bothered me from the start. Regardless of the activity, in my opinion, there needs to be a matchmaking option for it. 

Destiny is the first MMO type game that has really grabbed me and it's because it's half FPS and half MMO. So I don't have the years of playing World of Warcraft or EverQuest under my belt to do direct comparisons but I don't think I need them to make my point. From the start Bungie has not called Destiny an MMO and they still aren't. This game is something different and unique and I think it needs to be that in all aspects. The fact that there are so many activities in the game that you have to bring in a team to play is something I don't understand. I get that some things you need to communicate with but at least give people like me the option to try and play these things with hopes that everyone will have a mic. 

Like I said, I have been playing this game since the launch of the first one. I've had people to play with in pockets but pretty much everyone I used to play with has fallen off the game. I get it, there are a lot of games out there but it makes it hard to play stuff when solo. The whole point of the majority of the activities is to play them with others but It's restricted how you can do that. Like this season they added a new dungeon that is pretty high power and I probably won't be able to try it for a another week or two. When I am ready to play it I would have to go to a website to try and find people to play with because guess what, there's no matchmaking for dungeons! 

Now I totally get that most MMO games don't allow raids and endgame stuff to matchmake either. I understand the argument that some of the stuff is too complicated for random people to figure out. I say who cares! Give us a chance to play the content and let's find out. Like when a new raid comes out lock out the matchmaking for the first 24 hours so teams have a chance to go for worlds first and then open the gates for everyone! I'd be willing to bet there are thousands of people like me who would go into an activity like that with a mic, willing to spend hours trying to complete it, and be serious with it. Yeah you would run into the occasional person without a mic or someone being an ass but you could always have an option to kick them out and matchmake another person in. 

I love Destiny but at the same time I feel like I am locked out of so much content. I would love to play Trials every weekend and do the Raids every week to try and get all the stuff out of them. And I know the easy answer is to just try and find a group to play with, it's not that big of a deal. You're right but at the same time I'm forever gonna feel like the option for matchmaking should be there. It's a video game, it's nothing too serious. Just let me play the stuff in the damn game! 



Before I end this I want to talk about guided games. Cause I'm sure some of you were screaming about this. Yes, that is an option but it's such a weird system. That's not true matchmaking. Having to wait for a group in the same clan that needs one more to play with is a dumb system to me. Having everyone be in the same boat of just wanting to play the stuff with some random people makes more sense to me. Cause yes, most raids have a mechanic that has teams split up and they have to communicate to advance. I have faith that people would communicate cause otherwise why would they be matchmaking in a raid. 

I just wanted to write this up real quick since a lot of Destiny 2 news happened this week. I get that my opinion on this is not the popular one but still. Maybe when cross play comes out next year they will add something like what I want. Or at the very least add a way to find people to play with in game so people like me can at least try to play raids and trails! I'd also like a field of view slider for consoles please! 

Comments