15 Movies That Didn't Get Enough Recognition



I watch a lot of movies and over the years I have seen some and thought they were amazing but it seems I'm in the minority with that opinion. Some reviewed very well but for some reason they just didn't seem to have to wide appeal, or people liked them but didn't love them. I was thinking about some of those movies this week and hey, why not write about them on here! Some of the movies on here you have heard of and probably seen, but I'm hoping that you might discover a few as well. There are a lot of great movies out so let's talk about some that deserved more of a spotlight!

15. The To Do List (2013) 



This movie came out during a time when I was buying a ton of Blu-ray movies. I would literally go to Best Buy on a Tuesday and get like 2-3 movies on the regular. So I saw this movie and took a chance on it and I'm glad I did! I'd throw this movie in the same category as Booksmart, Superbad, and The Other Guys as one of my favorite comedies in the last 10 years! Aubrey Plaza is amazing, as she always is, and the cast in this movie is full of people you know! If you like dirty comedies and haven't seen this one I highly recommend it!

14. Wild Things (1998)



So I would say there's a good chance that even if you haven't seen this movie you know about it. I'd guess you know, or have seen, "the" scene that this movie is known for. And hey, yes that scene is hot AF but the movie around this scene often gets overlooked and it's pretty good! This was the coming out party for Denise Richards and she's phenomenal in this movie! She's asked to do a lot and she nailed it! Neve Campbell is always great and she is here too. I just think the concept of this movie works and even though it's about a serious subject it doesn't take its self very serious and that was the right call. I like dark movies and I'd say this is a dark movie for sure!

13. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (2016)



This is the best of the live action turtles movie in my opinion and it's far and away the best one! I grew up on the original cartoon and the other movies but man this movie nails who the turtles are and the villain side of things so well! Mother F'ing Krang is the main villain in this movie and he's amazing! We finally got to see Bebop and Rocksteady! There's a scene in this movie where Bebop and Rocksteady are chasing the turtles through a jungle in a tank and the tank goes in a rapid river after them and it's firing shots from a river! It's so good! We got to see real tension from Raphael and Leonardo as they find a way to change back into humans and the tension with all that. I love this movie and to all the people who hated it or never gave it a shot...I don't understand you! These movies should still be going on!

12. The Ninth Gate (1999)



I get if you have no idea what this movie is but it's very interesting, to me at least haha! I love stories about demonic things and I'm always down for a Johnny Deep movie and this movie has both. It's about a demonic book and a collector wanting it, so they send Deep to go and get it. Very simple plot but some of the stuff in this movie is very disturbing but cool. It has a kind of DaVinci Code feel to it but dealing with demonic things and an R rating. It's directed by Roman Polanski so that should tell you something there. I love the ending with the chance it takes and not being traditional. I'm also pretty sure no one smokes a cigarette cooler than Johnny Deep does in this movie.

11. The Princess and the Frog (2009)



I feel like this is one of the forgotten about Disney Princess movies and it's a shame cause it's really good. Not only is it good but it's unique and has a real world setting being set in New Orleans in the early 1900s. It has strong characters and some very memorable music. I do think the standout in this movie though is the villain. Prob the most evil and believable villain since The Little Mermaid to me. I also love his song in this movie. If you have Disney+  or Netflix and haven't seen this movie then do yourself a favor and watch it as soon as possible because it's very good!

10. It Comes at Night (2017) 



I remember being very hyped for this movie and, to me, it delivered everything I wanted it to! I love these slow burn Horror/Thriller movies where you aren't really sure what is going on till the end and that's exactly what this is. I feel this movie was marketed a lot but it seems like it came out and forgotten about and that's a shame. The way this movie is shot is so gorgeous and has some incredible imagines that are burned in my brain forever! I won't get into the plot because I feel it's best to go in blind and you can and just experience this movie. It's streaming on Netflix is you haven't seen it and are in the mood for a different feeling Horror movie. It was one of my personal favorite movies of 2017!

9. Kingdom of Heaven (2005)



I feel like this movie should've been a much bigger deal than it actually was. I'm not exactly sure why it wasn't a big deal but it seems like it came out and was instantly swept under the rug as soon as it left theaters. There was a director's cut released but, again, I feel like I was one of like 18 people that cared about it. It had everything in its favor: a big cast, a big director in Ridley Scott, and a very interesting setting in the Crusades. It's a very slow paced movie with not much action so maybe that is a reason. It focuses on the war from a political standpoint and I guess people just didn't care about that, who knows! I love it and feel it's one of the better war movies I've seen!

8. Spanglish (2004) 



I had this movie on a list of movies I thought should've gotten some Oscar love and I stand by that! This movie is the perfect blend of comedy and drama. It shows how complicated marriage can be while also diving into being an immigrant in America. It very much has Simpsons humor so if you like early Simpsons then you will more than likely dig the comedy side of this movie. I also think it has some killer performances and a very emotional ending that has gotten me every time I've watched it. It's streaming on Netflix and I highly recommend checking it out if you skipped it or if you've never heard of it.

7. Jennifer's Body (2009)



It really bums me out how this movie got treated! It was Diablo Cody's follow up to Juno, and it had so much hype behind it. To me, this movie is brilliant and does an amazing job mixing Horror and a Teen Comedy. This role was taylor made for Meghan Fox and she's so good in it! I know that people have this hatred for her for some reason but I've always liked her. Yeah I get she's hot but if you watch her roles, especially this one, she's a solid actor! I love the gore in this movie and how ridiculous it gets by the end. I think people were way too harsh on this movie and didn't take it for what it was. They wanted a Juno-like movie but they got a brilliant Horror/Comedy instead.

6. Hannibal (2001)



I think this is the best movie in the series! I love Silence of the Lambs but this movie has a tone that I just love. It has such a different feel and pace and really feels more like a drama than a Horror/Thriller. I think that's why people were disappointed with it cause they wanted another movie that felt similar to the original but I fell in love. This movie has so many memorable scene and half of that is due to the acting and the other is the directing and music. The music in this movie is amazing! I also like that the plot of the movie has a bit of a Batman and Joker thing to it cause the whole movie is about hunting down Hannibal. I mainly just think this movie should've gotten more respect!

5. Sunshine Cleaning (2008) 



So this is another movie you may have never heard of and that's why I have it on this list, and the fact that I love it! Like other movies on this list, it has a great blend of Drama/Comedy. I think the story is different and has a kind of Breaking Bad vibe to it just without the drugs. It takes place in New Mexico and is about Amy Adams and Emily Blunt cleaning crime scenes. There are a lot of great character moments and some get pretty real cause I identified with a few of them. It has a pretty good bit of names in it and it's an easy watch. It's streaming on Prime if you want to check it out cause I feel this movie went way under the radar.

4. Nightcrawler (2014)



I have no idea why this movie wasn't nominated for a ton of awards including Best Picture! It's so gritty and disturbingly realistic with a lot of the scenes. The length he goes to get to a crime scene quick is unnerving but more than likely accurate. The acting by Jake Gyllenhaal is amazing and the scene of the person getting shot with the shotgun is shot so well! I love the night setting of late night LA and getting to see what it's like to be inside a TV news station and how they deal with violent news stories. I think a lot of people know about this movie but not enough people have actually seen it.

3. Spring Breakers (2013)



If you know me then yeah, I found another way to talk about this movie! I love and respect this movie so damn much! The way this movie is shot is so amazing and has some of the coolest imagines I've ever seen in film. Yeah the actual story in this movie is whatever but man the acting is so good! The scene when Selena Gomez's character wants to go home and James Franco's character is trying to convince her to stay is literally perfect! The music is amazing and not only the licensed songs but the actual score. It's from the same guy who did Drive and you can tell. This movie has so many subtle serious moments that get me every time and prob will always get me. I'm in love with this movie and no, it's not just because Selena Gomez is in it...it does help though.

2. The Neon Demon (2016)



In the same vein as Spring Breakers, I love this movie for some of the same reasons! The look of this movie is unlike anything I've seen. It's drenched in colors and full of loud in your face bass heavy music that totally fits this movie. I know nothing about the fashion industry but the look into it we got in this movie is very interesting, al be it a very dark look! And as bad as this sounds, the violence and disturbing stuff in this movie is phenomenal! It's disgusting but I always respect filmmakers for taking chances with stuff like that! I really thought this movie deserved a lot more attention than it got! It's streaming on Prime if you want to check it out and I highly recommend you do! Just know it's kinda crazy!

1. The Proposition (2005)



I get that some of you might not have a clue what this movie is and wondering why the hell it's number one on this list, well, let's talk about it a bit. I love Western movies and this movie is one of the best in that genre to me. The plot is very very simple but that's a strength because most great Western movies have a simple plot. It's set in Australia in the 19th century and focuses on a group of criminals and the sherif trying to catch them. It has some amazing shots and it lingers on them to let you take them in. There are moments of the score that is hauntingly beautiful and makes me tear up just hearing them. The acting is top class and Ray Winstone is one of the most underrated actors of all time! It's not violent through out but when it is it's extreme and it makes sense. I think it's one of the best Westerns of all time and the movie I feel deserves more recognition the most!

Comments