Why the PS4 Slim Is The Way To Go In 2020



I went the last few months of 2018 and pretty much all of 2019 without a PS4. I sold my launch PS4 Pro to put twords an Xbox One X for a few reasons. It sounded like a jet engine when I played certain games and I prefer the Xbox controller. I love both consoles but I prefer to play most third-party games on Xbox for the controller. I figured I would get another Pro in 2019 sometime but most of the year went by and I just didn't have the money. It sucked because I'm a huge Spider-Man fan and hadn't got a chance to play the PS4 game and I really wanted to play Death Stranding when it came out. So Black Friday rolled around and I jumped on the $200 Slim bundle. I was hesitant because I was used to the Pro and playing games in 4K on the Xbox One X. The Slim can do HDR and that's big in my opinion. So after playing through Spider-Man, Death Stranding, and Days Gone using a Slim on a 4K TV I can confidently say that going with a Slim till the PS5 comes out is a great option.

Will games look and run better on a PS4 pro, yes they will, but not by a ton. Before I went on my adventure to get an Xbox One X my primary console was a PS4 Pro and that was for well over a year. And during that time I played what was considered to be two of the best looking games on the console with God of War and Horizon: Zero Dawn. They both looked and played amazing. Easily two of my favorite games on this generation. So the Black Friday Slim I got came with both of those games and The Last of Us Remastered and I decided to compare them to how they looked on the Pro. I'm gonna be real here...I couldn't tell much of a difference. Some of the textures aren't quite as smooth but still look really good. The world of Horizon is still gorgeous and Kratos still looks amazing in God of War. I was really surprised how similar they looked.



It makes sense though because it's mainly the game engine that depends on how games look and most PS4 exclusive games look amazing. Persona 5 is one of the best looking games this gen and it doesn't have PS4 Pro support. Of the games I've played on the Slim since I got it I think everything has looked and played great! If you told me I was playing Death Stranding on a Pro I would've believed you. Video games just aren't there with 4K in my opinion. Some games do benefit from the 4K upgrades on the Xbox One X, just cause it's more powerful, but for the most part games are going to look the same across the board. Now if you pick apart details like a Digital Foundry video then yeah, you're gonna find flaws. But straight up, if a game has muddy textures on a Slim then it's gonna have them on the Pro as well, just not as noticeable. You will have to look close to see those but they are there and that's why I say games just aren't there yet.

I do want to hit on a few negatives about the Slim cause I feel that's only fair. I have noticed a few frame rate drops in games like Days Gone when a lot was going on on screen. I did hear that game had some tech issues though and it could be more that than anything but I'm not sure. I had a few frame drops in Death Stranding as well but nothing major.

Now speaking of games not being there I want to go into the point of this post and talk about why the PS4 Slim is the answer for you if you are like me. I really wanted a PS4 to play the exclusives until the PS5 comes out. Cause if I had to wait a year to play the Final Fantasy VII Remake I might've exploded! So if you are like that as well and don't want to spend a ton of money getting a PS4 just know that a base or Slim PS4 is just fine and all the games will play well on it. And honestly, the really smart thing might be to just wait till the PS5 cause it's being rumored to be fully backwards compatible. They showed Spider-Man running on it to show off the load times so we know at least that game will be!


The Slim runs super quiet and I love how small it is in comparison to the other consoles. I still think the design of the original PS4 is the best looking but that's just me. I know that a lot of people still don't have a 4K TV so getting a Pro wouldn't make a ton of sense for them anyway. It was just kind of hard to find info on how a Slim looked on a 4K TV before I got the it but I can say that it looks great! I think HDR is more important to games anyway and the Slim does HDR as good as the Pro!

I just wanted to do this quick post if anyone was in the same spot as me and wasn't sure about things. Cause honestly I was skeptical about going from a Pro to a Slim but it worked out perfectly! And really all we want to do is play good games and have fun with them regardless about if it's running in 4K or not! Thanks for reading and I hope you all have a good one!

Comments